Here’s a thought experiment. Imagine having a replica of yourself. Every time an OCD urge arose, you could hand it off to the 2nd you to take care of, freeing you to live your life unencumbered by OCD.
Well, it turns out that you can do essentially that, through the process of surrendering. Sacred texts made these entreaties thousands of years ago:
- The Bible, Peter 5:7 — “Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for us”
- The Quran, 40:44 — “I entrust all of my affairs unto God”
- Hindu prayer — “O Lord Ganesha, please remove the anxiety caused to us”
Surrendering is different from suppressing. Suppressing anxiety can lead to all sorts of unhealthy attempts by the subconscious to cope, including to more OCD. But in surrendering, we recognize the problem or anxiety that is causing distress and we hand it over to the vastness of the Universe or to our personal deity, who is infinitely better equipped to deal with it.
Surrendering has been essential to my freedom from anxiety. My anxiety is attached to my ego, but who cares about my ego? I let it go. I release it to God/The Universe. I recognize it, feel it and hand it over.
It takes practice. But you can hand over all of the anxiety that plagues you to God, the Universe, All-That-Is … instead of trying to solve it through OCD, which itself reinforces anxiety. The Universe is more than capable of lovingly absorbing your anxiety.
Siddha Hum Kriya is a yogic surrender protocol that you can practice first thing every morning.
If convenient, stand facing east. Otherwise sit comfortably (don’t be too rigid in your practices, or it defeats the purpose of relieving stress). Closing your eyes may help reduce distractions. Each of the following five steps may take you anywhere from seconds to minutes.
- Allow your arms to fall by your sides, palms facing forward. Think or say, “I surrender.” Think or speak of surrendering all of your problems and anxieties to the Universe or to God.
- Place your hands over your heart and think or say, “I am connected.” Think about your connection to the Universe, to all that is. You are made by the universe. Your…